Sunday, May 24, 2009

Dortmund, Cologne (Köln), and Düsseldorf

So, after having had finished all my exams, I decided to visit B in Dortmund (which is where he goes to university for the semester).
After getting there half an hour late because public transportation in Dortmund is never on time, it was already late enough to just go to B's home and half a glass of wine and watch a movie.
On Saturday, we went to Cologne in a crowded train. Thanks to B's semester ticket I didn't have any extra costs for public transportation the whole weekend because on weekends he's allowed to take one person with him for free! :-) However, Cologne is big and the only really interesting thing to see is the Cathedral which is huge and has pixly windows! :-P

After discovering the Cathedral, we just walked around the city a bit and found out that it was celebrating Europe Day. But that led to two demonstrations: a left-wing and a right-wing demonstration. B and I were waiting all day to see the big fight between the two groups, but the high presence of police managed to avoid a meeting between the left and the right. Since nothing much was happening, B and I had a typical beer from Cologne in one of the bars: a Kölsch.

Another interesting thing about Cologne is the presence of blue pipes throughout the whole city. Why they have them there is unknow to me though.

Since the day was still young, we decided to make a short stop in Düsseldorf on our way back because B wanted to have french fries from there. And I have to admit that they were very delicious! :-)

On this trip I let B take all the pictures with my camera. He had lost his and that way he could take pictures of whatever he wanted and I usually wanted the same pictures anyway. And in Düsseldorf I asked him to take a picture of the Rhine, so here it is:

The next day, we only had the morning to take a look at Dortmund. But it doesn't really have any sights anyway and on Sundays all the stores are closed in Germany, so we settled for a Starbucks Frappoccino and I LOVE Starbucks! :-) B says I'm addicted...whatever! :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment